In his first game back after missing multiple contests with an upper-body injury, Parker Malchuk played the role of hero on Friday night.
With less than five minutes left in the game, Malchuk fired a shot from the point to the back of the net as Dauphin skated away with a 4-3 win over the Virden Oil Capitals.
Parker Johnson went to work in the first period. Just 4:10 into the game, he scored his third of the season as the Oil Capitals took a 1-0 lead in front of a great crowd at Tundra Oil & Gas Place.
Dauphin; however, like they have so many times this season, responded. While on a powerplay, Mathew Rathbone scored his third as a King in his second contest as Dauphin tied the game at one.
But it didn't stay that way long as Johnson scored his second of the game with just more than five minutes left as Virden took a 2-1 lead and they held that into the second period.
Virden had 21 shots in the period, Cherepak made 19 saves and Dauphin had just eight shots.
To open the second, Brayden Dube tied the game just 99 seconds into the frame as he notched his fourth of the young season and Mathew Rathbone gave Dauphin a 3-2 lead just more than four minutes later.
While on a man advantage of their own with just more than 10 minutes left in the period, Dylan Halliday scored his sixth of the season to tie the game at three, the score it was after 40 minutes.
Carson Cherepak had another solid period as he turned away 35-of-38 shots. He was a perfect 12-for-12 in the third period and he finished with 47 saves, his most as a King.
Dauphin now moves to 7-2 and they remain tied atop the West Division with the Waywayseecappo Wolverines.
- It was Rathbone's second straight game with two goals. He also scored twice in last Sunday's win against OCN.
- Dauphin scored one more goal on the powerplay as did the Oil Capitals. Both teams remain near the top of the league on the man advantage
- Colby Jaquet had two more assists. He now has 13 and continues to lead the team in scoring
- Dauphin has now won four straight games for the first time this season. During that time, the team has scored 22 times
- Dauphin now leads the season series, 1-0
The two teams will rematch on Saturday night at Credit Union Place.