Early this morning, the Dauphin Fire Department was called to a car fire at an apartment in Dauphin. Crews were able to contain the fire to the single car and didn't allow it to spread to surrounding vehicles. The fire was caused by the cord that was plugged into the car's block heater.

The fire was determined to be an accident. This was the DFD's 11th incident of the new year.

The Dauphin Fire Department wants to remind everyone to check their extension cords for cracks or corroded plugs before using them. A damaged cord can cause electrical arcing which can start fires if near something flammable.

Visit Manitoba Public Insurance's website for some useful tips.