Residential Direct Service Worker
Job Description Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain positive and effective communication
- Identify and apply critical thinking and problem-solving techniques.
- Utilize different communication styles and skills as necessary, with individuals, families, supervisors, agencies, co-workers, and community at large.
- Complete necessary records and documentation in accordance with agency policy and procedures, Residential care and licensing and Department of Family Services and Housing requirements.
- Complete documentation accurately, including
- Individual logs (where applicable)
- Communication logs (where applicable)
- Progress reports
- Financial records (where applicable)
- Incident reporting
- Behavioral observations
- Individuals plans (where applicable)
- Ensure property and equipment is maintained in a clean, safe working order.
- Ensure home is clean and sanitary.
- Clean home on a daily/weekly/monthly schedule as required, including but not limited to vacuuming, dusting sanitizing of food preparation areas and bathroom facilities.
- Clean and maintain equipment.
- Report and attend to unsafe conditions/equipment.
- Ensure compliance with fire safety regulations and participate in monthly fire drills
- Practice fire safety procedures and standards.
- Ensure that hazardous materials and refuse are properly stored or disposed of.
- Collect and dispose of garbage/ hazardous materials.
- Ensure home is clean and sanitary
- Ensure safe and proper storage of hazardous materials.
- Ensure safe storage of medications.
- Ensure safe storage of medication and first aid supplies.
- Locate information on in house drugs and side effects. (Team Leader)
- Ensure adequate supervision in identified risk areas.
- Assess risk areas for individuals (Along with Team Leader)
- Provide supervision and support as required.
- Ensure that food is handled safely and stored properly.
- Ensure that food preparation and eating areas are clean and sanitized.
- Attend to residence physical, emotional and mental health providing medical optical, dental etc. as necessary.
- Monitor and follow up on basic health and medical care. (As requested)
- Report and record health and medical information as required. (As requested)
- Administer medications accurately.
- Follow procedures for ordering, administering and monitoring medications.
- Follow guidelines of Residential Care and Licensing Manual.
- Complete medication administration records accurately.
- Know the medications and response to the specific pharmaceutical precautions of the medications including prescription and non-prescription medications.
- Provide nutritious meals and snacks in accordance with Canada’s Food Guide.
- Follow the Canada Food Guide and adapt to individuals likes, preferences, choices and medical requirements including, for example, Prader Willi, celiac, colostomy, allergies, cholesterol, Diabetes.
Self Direction and Management
- Support Individuals with their Person-Centered Planning process.
- Provide individual with support in pre-planning.
- Follow-through on planning.
- Encourage and assist each individual to participate in the daily activities and responsibilities of their personal lives and their home.
- Encourage and assist individual to participate in daily activities related to:
- Personal Hygiene. i.e. bathing
- Meal /nutrition preparation.
- Groceries and household shopping.
- Care of home.
- Care of yard.
- Ensure home is clean and sanitary.
- Provide accurate and complete information in order for individual to make informed choices and decisions.
- Provide emotional, spiritual, life skills, sexuality and social support in a manner that respects and honors the individual’s privacy and dignity.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
Relationships and Community Involvement
- Play and active role in providing opportunities for relationships with family’s neighbors and the community.
- Build individual’s skills on how to maintain relationships.
- Create opportunities.
- Teach and assist people to develop positive social interactions.
- Assess individual skill level.
- Identify appropriate social settings.
- Prepare individuals for social setting.
- Provide opportunities for individual to experience a variety of community options for social interaction.
- Teach appropriate skills in interaction.
- Provide repeated opportunities and options.
- Assist individuals with the management of their personal funds on a day to day basis.
- Work within the individuals’ financial limits, personal financial plan and bank accounts limits. (As required)
- Report mismanaged funds.
- Assist in managing the household funds, record purchases and provide receipts.
- Follow agency policy procedure and guidelines regarding house finances. (As required)
- Utilize agency recording system.
- Provide receipt for everything.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Be prepared to actively participate in all staff meetings.
- Read minutes of meeting.
- Ask questions and share information.
- Implement team decisions.
- Participate in professional development.
- Attend training events, meetings.
- Assist in the training and orientation of new staff.
- Act as a positive role model.
- Introduce new staff to individuals, other staff and resources.
- Identify tasks and skill they can teach.
- Act as a resource.
- Include new staff as a team member.
- Give and receive feedback of encouragement.
- Follow the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Read agency manuals such as policy and procedures.
- Ask questions.
- Arrive on time and complete shift.
- Follow agency procedures for schedules, hours of work, breaks and time sheets including shift exchanges, overtime, days off, vacation leave and time records if applicable.
- Ensure positive relationships with families, friends, professionals, businesses, community, advocates and public at large.
- Help extend a warm welcome to visitors.
- Portray a positive image of individuals and agency.
- Speak professionally when answering the phone and in other interactions.
- Dress in a clean and appropriate manner.
- Maintain Confidentiality
- Maintain and respect confidentiality in sharing information about individuals, team and organization.
Forward cover letter, resume and 3 references to:
Parkland Residential & Vocational Services Inc.
424 - 1st Ave. NE, Dauphin, Manitoba, R7N 1A9