MUSIC NEWS: WEDNESDAY, MAY 24, 2017
CONCERT SECURITY - WINNIPEG
Security is being enhanced at Winnipeg's MTS Centre in the wake of the fatal bombing at an Ariana Grande show in Manchester, England.
True North Sports and Entertainment will start by bringing in an explosives specialty dog for a sold-out Red Hot Chili Peppers show this Friday.
Kevin Donnelly of True North tells CTV Winnipeg that the Manchester bombing, which killed at least 22 people and wounded dozens more, ``changes everything.''
He says terrorist attacks have also taken place at shopping malls, train stations, airports and sporting events.
He says True North is always looking to ``increase, enhance and stay current'' with security standards around the world.
True North partners with the Winnipeg Police Service to provide security at large events.
Tragically Hip CBC
The Tragically Hip's momentous final show of last year's ``Man Machine Poem'' tour is getting an encore broadcast on CBC-TV next month.
The national broadcaster says it plans to reair ``The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration'' on June 24.
Running nearly three hours, the Kingston, Ont., concert last August featured the band performing their biggest hits to a sold-out hometown crowd.
It was widely believed to the Hip's final show as lead singer Gord Downie battles terminal brain cancer.
It was a ratings boon for the network, with the original airing averaging 4.04 million viewers.
Fans hosted viewing parties across the country and some local communities held public screenings and afternoon entertainment in the lead-up to the show.
The CBC had originally told viewers the concert would be a one-time event that wouldn't be rebroadcast again or made available on demand.
Sally Catto, general manager of programming at CBC Television, says the network changed its mind, deciding another showing would be the ``perfect way to kick off the summer.''
(The Canadian Press)
ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT-KAREN DAVID
One of first confirmed victims of Monday's terrorist attack in Manchester is being fondly remembered by Toronto-raised actress Karen David. David -- the star of the T-V series ``Once Upon a Time'' -- says she just met 18-year-old Georgina Callander last month. Callander was a fan of David's character on the hit T-V series and the two kept in touch on Twitter. After hearing of Georgina's death, David says she found messages from the teen that she hadn't yet answered. Speaking with the Canadian Press, David described Georgina as lovely, bubbly young lady and that her death stirs a lot of anger. David also posted a message on her Facebook page addressed to Callander and her family.
Monday's attack killed Callander and 21 other people and injured another 59, many critically.
ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT BLAST - MOVING FORWARD
When it comes to most music performers, the old adage ``the show must go on'' seems to be holding up. However, it still isn't clear whether Ariana Grande's world tour will be among the shows that continue on _ after being the target of a terrorist strike at her concert in Manchester, England on Monday night.
Grande's reps are disputing reports that the singer is calling off the rest of her world tour. At the same time, they aren't confirming that it will continue. Grande's next performance on her tour is set for tomorrow in London. There has been no official word on whether it will take place. Other acts who have gigs in Europe this summer say they aren't changing their plans. Among those who say they'll honor their deals are Celine Dion, Guns N' Roses, Phil Collins and Iron Maiden. Those attending can expect face tighter security than they'd usually find at a concert. For example, London's O-2 arena urges patrons to arrive early -- and leave large bags at home.
ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT BLAST - EYEWITNESSES
For many pre-teen fans of Ariana Grande, Monday was shaping up as an unforgettable night -- but not in the way it turned out. For many, seeing the American pop star was a dream come true _ and remained so until just moments after Grande said goodnight left the stage. That's when a terrorist detonated a bomb. The mother of 11-year-old Rihanna Hardy says she and her husband traveled 140 miles to see the show. But after the bomb went off and people were scurrying to find the exits, her father says his daghter ``just kept asking every five or 10 seconds, `Are we going to die'.'' She and her family came through the harrowing ordeal -- but 22 people didn't make it out alive.
ARIANA GRANDE TOUR IN QUESTION
Ariana Grande has not called off or postponed her tour, but it's uncertain if she will play London tomorrow as planned. Twenty-two people were killed and 59 injured as a suicide bomber attacked the end of Grande's concert in Manchester, England, on Monday. The youngest victim identified was 8 years old. Grande tweeted after the show, ``broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.''
BOMBER IDENTIFIED IN CONCERT ATTACK
Investigators are looking for possible accomplices to the suicide bomber who attacked an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, on Monday. Manchester police believe the bomber is 22-year-old Salman Abadi. A European security official says Abadi was a Briton of Libyan descent. A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
U-S intelligence director Dan Coats says it has not been verified that the Islamic State is responsible, although the group is claiming responsibility.
TAKE THAT POSTPONE CONCERTS IN MANCHESTER
Officials at Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, have announced the Take That concerts scheduled there for this week are on hold while police investigate the suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande (GRAHN'-day) concert there on Monday.
Take That were supposed to play Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the arena. The group called off their show in Liverpool last night out of respect for the victims.
SOME SHOWS CANCEL, SOME STILL GO ON IN ENGLAND AFTER BOMBING
Blondie has called off a show in Britain, while the show must go on for Simple Minds. Blondie called off its show in London last night out of respect for victims of the bombing at Ariana Grande's (GRAHN'-dayz) concert in Manchester, England, on Monday. Simple Minds still played their gig in Manchester last night. Il Volo kept their date in London last night.
The Parklife Festival, featuring Frank Ocean, Run The Jewels, Fatboy Slim and Manchester natives The 1975, will still be staged in Manchester on June 10-11. Celine Dion, Iron Maiden, Phil Collins and Guns N' Roses plan to keep their upcoming British concert dates as planned.
TERROR LEVEL RAISED IN BRITAIN AFTER ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT BOMBING
British Prime Minister Theresa May says Britain's terrorism threat level has been raised to critical.
That means another attack may be imminent. May says Salman Abadi, who is believed to be the suicide bomber at Monday's Ariana Grande
concert, may have been part of a bigger network. May says critical status means armed soldiers may be deployed instead of police at public events.
PETER HOOK'S DAUGHTER WAS AT ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT
The daughter of Peter Hook of New Order and of Joy Division was at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester but was not injured. Hook tweets his daughter made it home safe. He adds that his heart goes out to all parents and those involved, and he urges Manchester to ``stay strong.'' A suicide bomber killed 22 people at the end of Grande's show on Monday.
RISE AGAINST REACT TO ARIANA GRANDE CONCERT TRAGEDY
Ariana Grande and Rise Against couldn't be further apart on the music spectrum, but Rise Against singer Tim McIlrath (MAK'-il-rath) still felt a particular twinge of sadness hearing the news of tragedy at Grande's show. McIlrath says he's familiar with Grande's music because he has two daughters. He's taken them to pop concerts and he says, ``Nothing could be more innocent.'' McIlrath says it's especially devastating that a suicide bomber targeted Grande's concert because her audience is mostly young people, what he calls ``such an innocent place of music.''
McIlrath says the bombing will not affect how he approaches his concerts because musicians need to stay strong.
MEEK MILL SUED OVER CONCERT SHOOTINGS
The families of three men shot outside a Meek Mill concert are suing Mill and the concert venue.
Thirty-one-year-old Travis Ward and 20-year-old Jaquan Graves were killed, and 25-year-old Nathan Mitchell was among two people injured outside a December show at the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, Connecticut. Mitchell and the families of Ward and Graves accuse Mill and the theater of inadequate security measures. The lawsuit says Mill's lyrics incite violence and there have been shootings at two of his other concerts. Representatives for Mill and for the theater did not return requests for comment. The amount of damages being sought in the lawsuit was not disclosed. No one was arrested in the shootings.
(The Associated Press)